Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Audrey Style

It's fair to say that I'm an Audrey Hepburn fanatic - a great admirer of her work, her style, but most of all, the lady herself. Needless to say then, that this month's cover of Tatler magazine caught my eye...


Actress Lily Collins (daughter of Phil Collins) has been given an Audrey style makeover by the Tatler team, and the results are beautifully striking, not only on the nautically themed cover, but throughout the whole shoot.


Taking the essence of Audrey's look in the film Roman Holiday (although the setting has changed from central Rome to beach riviera), the shapes are sharp 50s style - nipped in at the waist and out at the hips with dashes of colour .


The neckerchief and flat sandals are also borrowed from Roman Holiday, although Lily's mode of transport is a bicycle, not riding pillion aboard a moped with Gregory Peck. The Audrey-channelling is all in the details...


Capri trousers, sculpted eyebrows and a cropped fringe - even a Yorkshire Terrier appears in the shoot (Audrey's Yorkshire Terrier, Mr. Famous, was a constant presence by her side for years, even appearing with in one scene of the film, Funny Face).


The shoot is an affectionate nod to Hepburn-glamour; pure eye candy with well thought out details...


Lily Collins manages to balance the elegance and cheekiness of Audrey with ease, making for a truly beautiful shoot that's full of summer. 


Images courtesy of thestylistsite.com

7 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I bought this issue in Paris to read on the plane but never got to it. It was the cover that caught my eye. I love the elegance of the Audrey Hepburn look and dress like that when the mood strikes. In fact, I was channeling Audrey today! What a funny coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingrid - Me too. I kept walking past it on the shelves of various shops and stopped and picked it up every time! I finally gave in the other day and I wasn't disappointed. Glad to hear you enjoy channelling Audrey, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this photo shoot. Ms. Collins is adorable. I've always loved '50's style. Luckily, when I was a teenager, my Mom still had her clothes from that period and I claimed them. Now, where are they?
    Happy weekend, Laura
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, those pictures are gorgeous and she looks so sweet. Wow, I really love that style, the elegance, the colours, the clothes and the 1950s Riviera feeling - really the lot. I've been wondering whether I should or shouldn't buy this issue for some time, so thanks for posting these, a great post ;-) Hope you have a lovely week xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, hello! Lily Collins is adorable, I agree. And quite an Audrey dopelganger in this shoot. I have some reclaimed 80s pieces of my Mum's, and am even lucky enough to have a 50's sundress of my grandmother's, worn my her, my Mum and now me...all a perfect fit for it, which is one of the many reasons I love it so much. I'm very lucky.

    Carole - I heartily recommend you buy the magazine so you can view the images even larger scale. There isn't much of an article, but with pictures like that...who needs it?! Pure summer eye candy. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily 1 of the most beautiful women I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lily 1 of the most beautiful women I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete